A Central West End Throwback Thursday

7 Forest Park Terrace, the residence of Colonel Charles Spears Hills, a Lieutenant Colonel in the 10th Kansas Infantry. The home has since been demolished and the street renamed. The empty lot now sits at 5065 Lindell Blvd. Colonel C. S. Hills is buried at Bellefontaine Cemetery and his Obelisk, erected by Eva Struges Hill in 1891, is the tallest obelisk in St. Louis and one of the tallest in the United States.

16 Westmoreland Place was built in 1914 by architect J.P. Jamieson for Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. was involved Mallinckrodt Chemical Works, a pharmaceuticals and other chemical processing company started by his father and two uncles. He headed the company in 1928 after his father’s death.  During World War II and after the company was involved extensively in refinement of uranium ore for the U.S. Government.

David Rowland Francis is remembered as not only the president of the Louisiana Purchase Exhibition Corporation, but also one of the city’s youngest mayors as well as governor. The home of David and Jane Francis at 4421 Maryland Avenue (below on left), once encompassed half a city block and was bounded by Newstead, Maryland, and Berlin (now Pershing).  In 1895, Architects Eames & Young reduced the home to four rooms and built a palatial new house around it inspired by Palladio’s Villa Rotonda (below on right.)

5855 Lindell Blvd was once the Residence of Morris M. Corn.  The French style home was built in 1926 by architects Maritz & Young.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *